+44 (0)20 7404 0606
My Submission to Lord Justice Jackson's Review of "Fixed Recoverable Costs"
- AuthorJonathan Haydn-Williams
onathan Haydn-Williams has made a written submission to Lord Justice Jackson’s review of “Fixed Recoverable Costs”.
His 30 second summary:
- Jackson LJ is to report later in the year on proposals to limit the legal costs which a successful party can recover from the losing one, in claims up to £250,000.
- I think it is a good idea (unlike many in the legal professions) as it will enable claimants to bring claims which in recent years they have not been able to bring because of the ‘chilling’ effect of the risk of losing and being financially ruined by having to pay the winning defendant’s costs.
- Insurance against the risk of losing has been too expensive to provide a solution.
- The winning party will not recover as much of their legal costs from the losing one as in the past.
- Court rules will need to be much simplified to reduce the amount of costs which a winning party will need to bear and lawyers and clients will need to work more flexibly and cost-effectively.
Please download the full submission here: Goodman Derrick – Jonathan Haydn-Williams Submission to LJJ_s Review of Fixed Recoverable Costs_ 30 Jan 2017
This guide is for general information and interest only and should not be relied upon as providing specific legal advice. If you require any further information about the issues raised in this article please contact the author or call 0207 404 0606 and ask to speak to your usual Goodman Derrick contact.