With over 50 years’ experience in this sector, we advise on the key legal aspects of all areas of publishing, from traditional print through to digital & wireless delivery and distribution./p>
We provide assistance to a broad range of clients in the publishing sector, ranging from market leaders, well known trade, educational and business book, periodical and magazine publishers, through to authors, journalists, illustrators, and literary estates. We also advise a wide array of providers at different levels of the publishing supply chain, from conventional and ebook distributors, agencies, designers and printers, through to trade associations.
Our cross-departmental team advises on:
- Arrangements for the commissioning, acquisition and exploitation of content including author's contracts, distribution, sub-licenses, agency, subscription fulfilment, merchandising and Film, TV and Digital rights;
- Content clearance services: pre-publication advice in relation to defamation, contempt of court, malicious falsehood, confidentiality, privacy, court reporting, copyright, Official Secrets Acts and obscenity;
- Copyright, plagiarism and piracy;
- Chain of title investigations and IP due diligence;
- Corporate/M&A transactions; sale and purchase of imprints, book lists and data;
- EU and UK Competition law and regulatory advice;
- Advertising and marketing, sales promotion; exploitation and protection of brands, trade marks, consumer protection issues;
- Dispute resolution: High Court litigation, mediation, arbitration, domain name disputes;
- Data protection, privacy and freedom of information;
- Employment law & HR issues;
- Commercial property advice and transactions;
- Administration of literary estates.
If you require any further information about the services offered by the publishing team, or if you wish to make a specific enquiry please contact Paul Herbert or David Edwards or telephone 0207 404 0606.