+44 (0)20 7404 0606
Dan is a litigator with a wealth of experience in high profile, high value cases in both the commercial litigation and financial regulation sectors. He acts on a broad range of disputes, both nationally and internationally for corporate, individual and institutional clients. In the commercial sphere, Dan regularly acts in respect of shareholder/company disputes and in relation to allegations of fraud. In the regulatory environment, Dan has experience of addressing FCA and SFO investigations in respect of money laundering and bribery issues.
Dan’s experience has spanned numerous jurisdictions, including Switzerland, Russia, Dubai, Jamaica, Canada, the BVI, Kazakhstan and the USA (amongst others). He focuses on a range of sectors that include technology clients and financial services. A particular focus is high net worth individuals, their corporate vehicles and start-up entities.
Described by Legal 500 as “very personable, sensible and good with clients”, his emphasis is on producing commercial results by leveraging technical ability and strategic oversight. Dan recognises that litigation is commonly an unwelcome distraction for most clients and he aims to assist in resolving theses issues as quickly and cost effectively as possible.
Dan obtained his higher rights over five years ago and has represented servicemen on behalf of the Royal British Legion in the war pensions appeal tribunals. He is also a member of the London Solicitors Ligation Association and the Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association.
Dan was educated at Leeds Grammar School, read history at Magdalene College, Cambridge and attended BPP Law School.
Dan’s previous high profile cases include:
- Otkritie v Urumov & others - Acting for a major Russian bank in a successful High Court action against a number of ex-employees accused of fraud. The case was worth over £200 million, the trial lasted for almost six months and involved related proceedings in numerous jurisdictions with over twenty witnesses.
- Acting for an individual defendant in an alleged complex petroleum fraud. The case was alleged to be worth over USD300 million.
- Pamplona Strategic Investments v International Standard Asset Management - Acting for a substantial hedge fund as claimant in respect of a £30 million dispute over the operation of tag and drag rights.
- TIPP Investments PCC v Chagala Group Limited - Acting for a shareholder in a dispute with a BVI incorporated company that specialises in providing services in Kazakhstan and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. The case was brought in the BVI and has involved a number of injunctions (including successfully injuncting the placing and open offer of shares on the London Stock Exchange).
- Acting for an individual defendant in respect of fraud allegations made against her to the amount of £60 million. The case involved a world-wide freezing order and has links to Romania, the West Indies, Switzerland and the Netherlands.
- Acting for a Canadian medicinal cannabis start-up company in respect of a shareholder dispute.
- Re Meem Memory Ltd - Acting for a start-up technology firm in respect of a challenge to a pre-pack administration. The alleged claim included allegations of dishonest assistance and knowing receipt.
Out of the office
Dan can often be found watching or playing cricket (the latter commonly with mixed success). He also enjoys tinkering with his much loved, but rarely working, MGB.