Goodman Derrick’s capability covers both contentious and non-contentious competition and regulatory advice.
“In this highly technical area, outcomes have a crucial effect on a company or individual’s prospects and livelihood. Our approach is based on meeting these needs.”
Stephen Hornsby, Partner, Competition and Regulatory
Contentious Competition Law
We often make claims and complaints to key regulators that are designed to achieve our clients’ commercial objectives. We also defend companies subject to regulatory investigations.
Non-contentious Competition Law
We work with our corporate colleagues to advise clients who are merging or being acquired and who are entering major commercial contracts. The objective here is to ensure that where such transactions require approvals wherever that may be, they are allowed to proceed on favourable terms at the lowest cost.
Our regulatory offering includes advising professionals subject to investigations of their conduct before the relevant professional and sporting tribunals and ultimately in the High Court.
- Competition – successfully obtaining clearance from the Competition Commission for a merger between two significant public transport companies in Scotland
- Competition – successfully advising on a review of merger undertakings in the health sector
- Competition – successfully acting in a claim based on non-disclosure of cartel liability in a business sale agreement
- Regulatory – acting in the biggest case so far brought by the UK Tax Disciplinary Board against a Hong Kong based professional.
- Regulatory – acting for a doctor in High Court proceedings against a decision of the GMC regarded as unduly lenient
- Regulatory – setting aside as a result of a mediation, a worldwide banning order on two sports officials
Our capability in this area is led by Stephen Hornsby. Stephen is one of the most experienced EU and Competition lawyers practising in the UK and an active participant in conference and author of books and articles on all aspects of this speciality.
If you require any further information about the services offered by the Competition and Regulatory team, or wish to make a specific enquiry please contact Stephen Hornsby, Ellen Gallagher or Alexander Kingston-Splatt.