+44 (0)20 7404 0606
Shareholder and Director Disputes
Disputes in the boardroom, or between shareholders, can have a disruptive and detrimental impact on the performance of any business, particularly on its stability, finances and, in extreme cases, on its reputation.
We are experienced in dealing with these sometimes complex and, often, emotionally charged disputes. As a result we recognise the need for effective dispute resolution and, wherever possible, to achieve this outcome promptly and in a strategic and commercially focused way.
We provide a broad range of legal services in relation to shareholder and director disputes of this nature and we regularly act for clients both within the UK and internationally.
Our clients include directors, majority and minority shareholders and companies ranging from privately owned businesses to large corporations. Our services also encompass contentious issues arising from joint ventures and commercial and professional partnerships and LLPs.
- Acting on behalf of minority or majority shareholders when allegations of “unfair prejudice” are made and which potentially involve direct or derivative claims
- Advising and representing partners and partnerships when disputes occur
- Advising and representing participants in relation to disputes under shareholder agreements or joint ventures
- Acting for (executive and non-executive) directors concerning disputes and claims based on alleged misfeasance and/or breaches of their statutory duties. For example: where there are allegations of a conflict of interest, wrongful or fraudulent trading, negligence, or the misappropriation of a company’s assets
- Resolving issues in relation to potential insurance coverage under Directors and Officers type policies, including claims against underwriters when cover is disputed
To discuss your position please contact any member of the team for a no obligation conversation.
Recent and representative experience
- Acting for a director and major shareholder in a dispute with their former co-director and the liquidator of the company which is in members’ voluntary liquidation
- Acting for a shareholder in a complex dispute involving breach of a shareholders agreement and various conduct amounting to unfair prejudice, with a value in dispute of approximately £20 million
- Successfully representing six former directors of a high profile group of companies and securing the dismissal of multi-million pound claims brought by a liquidator and recovering our clients’ legal costs in full
- Acting for shareholders in relation to unfair prejudice petitions
- Acting for two former directors in defending a claim for alleged fraud and breach of duty
- Acting for a former director in respect of defending a claim for alleged misfeasance and wrongful trading
- Resolving a shareholder dispute through effective negotiation between the parties, ensuring that litigation was avoided
- Successfully settling a bitter shareholder dispute between two shareholders/directors regarding the proceeds of a quasi partnership/joint venture concerning a retail park development project, when the relationship had irretrievably broken down